Wednesday, June 3, 2009

All Around Me Are Familiar Faces, Worn Out Places, Worn Out Faces.

Monday was the last one... and now it is already over.

I swear I slept through high school, blinking and missing beats off and on and eventually keeping my eyes closed for such a fraction of the time that the memory is but a faded blur left to sit on an aging canvas in... what, the past? The past. Yesterday is gone. This is the end of simplicity as we know it. Suddenly, the coattail is dragged away and instead of a ride we must stand and walk into a future alive with excitement, love, loss, friendship, and conflict. It's a bigger future than you would think, it's bigger than you or me. All we can do for the time being is get our backs straight so we can proudly march across that stage and recieve with the left, shake with the right, blah, blah, blah, but then... take a seat. I suppose that hitting the seat will be a head-on collision with the real world; the real but so very mad world. And we all smile, and we all go home, filled with thoughts of progression and finally being able to say goodbye to that building... and to every single relationship formed over the past years of public schooling, save the few that will endure the test of time. But after all the bells have sounded and the cheers have died down, all you have left as a souvenier of yesterday is a sheet of paper, namely your high school diploma. The paper proving that the world is here... er, was here... is still here but is revolving just as quickly as it was before. The rotations will stop for no one. Frightening, but also promising. Promising above all else.

"Take heart, for I have overcome the world." [John 16:33]

If there is one thing to cling to and take shelter with, then it is the Word of God. Hallelujah.

But now we're off and running - here we go! Take a good look around, take a good look around...

I'm finished with high school [I'm laughing to myself]... this is something else. Something else entirely.

I recorded the last bell, too. The last bell I will ever hear. I say this probably out of sentimental values, but it was easily the longest bell I have ever heard. It seemed to go on just long enough for me to say, "I'll miss that note." It was a B, but I only know that because Rushton told me junior year. So many memories in those hallways... in the past four years I have been so many different people in those hallways. [not a typo]

Keep a foot in the past, but look to the past and the boy is gone. Gone and now knee deep in the promises of what is next. I'll fight the break of dawn come tomorrow, but tomorrow I'll be gone. Yeah, gone again. Take a good look around, because things will only get better from here. The past twelve years now part ways,

farewell.

3 comments:

Kristina Weeks said...

Reading this makes me incredibly sentimental and perhaps, too, a little sad. But the excitement of what's to come is overshadowing the nostalgia like the sun lighting up the previously darkened landscape.

The beautiful thing about this post is that you have incorporated both the past and the future into a thoughtful present-tense, where everything can be combined with the right texture, shadowing, and tone. I love it. You have something amazing ahead of you, and something life-changing behind (how many transitions were there, four?). And I'm sure there are many more to come. I am excited for you, dear. That last bell of high school was the first bell of the rest of your life ;) Do it right.

1 Timothy 6:18-19
"They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life."

<3

Amanda said...

oh goodness, when I read you and Kristina's stuff I get shudders, cause i'm like, "uh, i like to write...but they like to write and give very good critical analysis' about writings...crap....think gramatically correct grandma, think gramatically correct...crap" and I end up writing things like, I, like, basketball; a lot! :P

haha. but in all seriousness, though as an elderly, I do not like the depressing song choice you chose as a title, I enjoyed reading this blog. :) As you quoted in my yearbook that I have right here, turn it [your future] upside down! :D

Amanda said...

p.s. as i'm looking at my yearbook i laugh at the fact that sarah signed right under you and wrote my name all pretty and big...and i laugh because you two are both the creative artsy people, and yalls look the exact same. :D